Getting into the field of digital marketing is no joke—the number of things you need to be on top of every day while maintaining a sense of calm and sanity can be challenging for those who get overwhelmed easily. That’s where having the right business mindset comes in, and being able to look at those fears and worries without letting them control you is important, and it can be done! Being self-aware is just part of the process—reaching out and getting help with your expertise as a business owner will help you tenfold in the end, and I know just the person to do it.
My longtime friend Jim Palmer joins me on the podcast this week! An operator of his own small business coaching company The Dream Business Coach, as well as hosting events under Dream Business Academy, Jim has been in the digital marketing game for 18 years! This week, he talks to us about the importance of your mindset, how you can go about overcoming the most difficult obstacles, and the best way to get yourself motivated for your big plans. Let’s get started!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Jim tells us what he’s all about! With 18 years of digital marketing experience under his belt, Jim has made quite a successful name for himself. Among his successes is his Dream Business Coaching Program, the Dream Business Academy, and a team of 13 virtual assistants that run no hassle newsletters, concierge print and mail, a custom article generator, and success advantage publishing!
- Jim talks to us about the top issues that small business owners have with the mindset, stating that the most discussed issue lies with money. People often think that there’s a limited supply of money and that they shouldn’t be spending what they don’t have on things that will help them increase cash flow and overall success.
- Secondly, Jim explains, are people who think too much about what other people will think of them, and what they’ll say about them. Since digital marketing requires putting yourself out there, people worry about putting their stake in the ground and stating “this is who I am, this is why I’m awesome, and this is why I’m the best”. By making that statement, people often get worried about not living up to what they’ve said about themselves, and they don’t aim as high as they should be aiming with their digital marketing. You can’t build a dream business that way!
- Jim explains how you can get out of that mindset, explaining that the most important thing is to get help. You cannot diagnose yourself, or fix yourself in this area—you need someone to push and help you along. You can overcome your inner demons and do well, it’s just a decision that you have to make! To help your mind get past these mantras, you can and should choose to be judged on the value of the content and the information of the services that you’re providing, and not the imperfect way that you’re providing it. No one is perfect, of course, but you can do the best at what you specifically excel at!
- All things you have to do as a digital marketer require you to step out into the limelight and Jim explains a good saying that he was taught a few years back. The higher up the flagpole you go (the more success you have), the more your behind hangs out. And people will poke fun at you, but it’s okay because the view is much better up there. Most of the people who have time to poke fun, criticize, and call out your mistakes are the people who clearly don’t have anything going on in their own life. Don’t listen to them, anyways!
- Jim talks to me about how people can get over their aversion to adspend, and investing any money in outside affairs. Most people think that they don’t have the money to spend on something like that, but when you’re in the digital marketing space and you’re doing things like paid traffic and SEO work, you have to invest money to see what works! Running ads becomes a finely tuned process, and once you have it dialed down (and you know that for every dollar you spend, you’ll gain a certain amount of clicks, which will lead to a certain amount of new leads), you can decide how much money you want to spend in terms of how many new clients you can get through this process. You have to use the process first, though, in order to figure it out.
- Jim talks to us about something that business owners and entrepreneurs often fall for, which is called “shiny object syndrome”. It’s one thing to have an open mind, but if your mind is so open that you have an insatiable appetite for more and more knowledge, you’ll fall off the path of what you’re trying to achieve in the long run. You can’t put your eggs into too many baskets, otherwise, you’re just prolonging when you get your big ideas ready to go!
- With that in mind, Jim helps explain what people can do in that situation. First, you need to agree on 2 or 3 big things that you’re going to focus on in the year. If a shiny object then presents itself, ask yourself if it’s going to help you achieve those things you’ve already settled into, or if it’ll be something distracting and external. If it’s external, you don’t need to follow through and you need to say no. When you say yes to something, you have to be prepared to say no to something else.
- Jim explains him “just do it” attitude, explaining that no matter where you are in your business, regardless of success, people often don’t feel ready for the things that they’re actually ready to do. When you get a big idea, your brain gets romantically linked to it, but the other side of your brain can throw in progress killers that give you doubts and delusions of its success. You have to just say yes when you’re face to face with these things—if you don’t pull the trigger, just say yes, and go, you’ll never know how much potential you have, and what you’re wasting by focusing on worries.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Jim Palmer
- Build Your Dream Business Now
- Dream Business Academy
Did Jim not get to answer a burning question on your mind? No worries! You can get in contact with him here, or at any of the social media links listed above. Jim has been a good friend to me for a very long time, and I know personally just how much he can help business owners everywhere get into their best mindset in order to find the success they’ve been looking for!