When it comes to digital marketing, one of the most important pieces of the puzzle revolves around paid advertisements and pay-per-click campaigns. Being able to use something as powerful as Google Ads to bring people to your website for success and an influx of clients is a resource that requires a lot of fine tuning and understanding, and understanding the way that paid search works is a necessity when it comes to success with landing pages, conversions, and traffic. But, if you’ve never dabbled in the world of Google Ads, it might be hard to start and sort through what’s necessary, and what’s filler.
That’s where Amy Hebdon comes in! Her amazing team at Paid Search Magic works hard to not only help their clients with Google Ads, paid searching, and audits of their accounts, but also teaches fellow digital marketers better ways to utilize paid search and Google Ads to get better results with their clients. Together, Amy and I talk about what her company does, how important audits are, and pitfalls to avoid in your paid search progress to ensure the best possible endgame results! Let’s get started!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Paid Search Magic can not only help their own clients but fellow marketers as well! Amy explains that, right now, they offer one on one coaching to help digital marketers build better offers, better management, and better client management in order to maximize the efficiency of their own process with clients!
- Amy explains that there needs to be thought and strategy when it comes to putting out ads and that the act and story of people putting out one advertisement that built the success of their business is very few and far between. You need to know what you’re doing to see success! Additionally, Amy also explains the learning curve to Google Ads, saying that there’s a lot of nuances to understand and master when it comes to using it successfully.
- Amy explains the process of auditing a PPC account, telling us how important it is to look at how your account is running (not just new things). When you have everything working appropriately, you can add more to your account and try new campaigns and strategies, and that’s how performance can improve. However, when things are mislabelled, they can give you wrong data, and it’s hard to right that wrong. Being able to listen to your account to see what’s actually happening helps to improve the overall performance.
- Amy states that it is possible to audit your own account! Plenty of people also offer free audits, but when you go into processes like this, you need to know what your objectives are and why. There has to be a sense of truth about what’s happening in your account, and having a good understanding of where your opportunities are and what you might want to change can help your business in the long run.
- Amy tells us how important is it to spend time auditing rather than worrying about the next big thing. In a metaphor, Amy details that the structure of your business is like the engine, and the things you can add on to make things seemingly better is just like adding gas to the car. However, if you never check the engine and instead keep filling the car with gas, the car will ultimately break down. You can try as many new strategies as you’d like, but if you’re missing huge factors of how your account is set up, you’re draining money in the end.
- In what she calls “the process of discovery”, Amy talks about how every situation for an audit is different. Some accounts have room for improvement and they’re doing well, while others have a labeling problem, which can lead them to a bad business place. The process of auditing is being able to shine a light on these issues is good, especially since a lot of things that aren’t working are due to the focus being on something else.
- Amy tells us the most important places to check when you start an audit, starting with conversions. It’s an area that matters a lot if things are set up correctly, it can confusing at first, and depending on how it’s set up, it affects how you interpret your audit results. Secondly, you want to check the relationships between keywords, ads, and landing pages (and make sure that landing pages have a conversions mechanism on them). Lastly, you want to check your search terms (which are different than keywords!), which reflect the exact things that are typed into Google. These things should be at the front and center!
- Amy talks to us about landing pages, explaining their importance in a PPC campaign. It doesn’t matter how great your targeting is, you’re not going to have any conversions if your landing page isn’t equipped to do anything. Potential clients are looking for your best offer, and being able to provide that best offer on a landing page is important to the success of the account. Having a landing page right is the best way to optimize your campaigns.
- In addition to that, Amy warns that using your homepage as a landing page for your PPC ad isn’t always the best idea. Overall, you need to keep the needs of your customer in mind first and foremost, and when you’re deciding what page you want to lead them to. They want to make sure they have the information they need to make a decision, and that’s what matters!
- Amy leaves us with some tips on how to hire the best PPC team to help you with your audits and your ad campaigns, stating that it’s hard to find the right person to work on your team for these specifics. Overall, you need to know what your objectives are, you need to make sure these people can speak to them and solve them, and you need to understand your business goals, and how paid search can support those goals.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Did Amy not get to answer a burning question on your mind? No problem! You can get a hold of Amy at her email, or at any of the social media listed above. With how important it is to use PPC and Google Ads to further the reach of your business, knowing what you’re doing in a world that might seem unfamiliar can be daunting. But, that’s exactly why people like Amy are here to help you out and show you the way to become an expert just like her!