We all know what it’s like to have a reliance on freelance writers in order to outsource and get jobs done that require an extra touch. However, getting into contact with the right freelancer for the job can sometimes be a tedious task that, honestly, we just don’t have the time for. How do we make sure we’re finding the right people, and what can we be doing to make sure that the people we’re connecting with are reliable?
That’s where Nathan Hirsch comes in. The founder and CEO of FreeeUp—a marketplace for freelancers where you can get in touch with someone within a matter of minutes to do the best job at the right price—talks with us about how he came up with this idea, and how exactly the entire process works. He also gives us tips on how to hire someone remotely, and why he thinks it’s the future of employment. Let’s get started!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Who Nathan Hirsch is, and what his company is all about. FreeeUP—yes, free with three e’s!—is an online marketplace for freelancers to submit their work. Hundreds of applications are fielded every week, but Nathan only approves the top 1% of them to go through. With this contract already in place, it’s easier for companies to reach out to them in order to find the perfect writer for the job they need to be done, thus eliminating the process in between!
- Nathan explains to us the process in which they go through applications, stating that 99 out of every 100 applications received are rejected. The ones that go through are vetted intensely on their skill, attitude, and communications. The company wants to make sure that not only are they talented, but that they’re also passionate, caring, possessing a good attitude, and can communicate with contractors at a high level.
- Once these applications are accepted, it’s all about speed. Nathan states that the average business owner doesn’t have time for this process anymore, and tends to need things faster. So, in order to use this website, you need to simply put in a request to the site, and they’ll find and connect you with someone as soon as possible! To ensure that you’re getting the fastest wait times, FreeeUp also have a 24/7 support service in place, to make sure things are done quickly and efficiently.
- Nathan talks with us about the price of a freelancer from his website, and he knows that they tend to be a little more expensive than others. However, this is because of the high level of people that they’ve hired—they don’t let non-experienced workers into the marketplace, so you’re paying market price for what someone of their level would normally cost. Overall, he says the average price can fluctuate between $5/hour, to $50/hour.
- Nathan then talks to us about remote workers, and why it’s seemingly better to find work online as opposed to hiring from within your area. If you’re trying to reach out locally, other businesses are surely doing the same thing. By reaching out to remote workers online, you’re opening up access from all around the world, and so many different industries and people that you, otherwise, would be cutting yourself off from. These people are specialists, and people who don’t have to be brought in full time in order to get the job done. You can pick and choose what’s best for your business, which also makes it ideal.
- Additionally, Nathan explains that the supply for remote workers is already quite large, with its numbers growing every year. In fact, in 5 – 10 years, Nathan predicts that over 50% of people will be working remotely, or hired remotely. So, if you’re a business and you’re not utilizing the power of these people, it’s apparent that you’re missing out!
- Nathan gives us some tips on hiring people remotely, explaining that the best way to get a good start is to set expectations and communication standards up front. That way, when you’re getting through the process of finding out who will work and who won’t, you can erase some otherwise cloudy middle ground from the get-go. It’s also wise to set down how you want to work, and typically surround yourself with like-minded people in order to get the most amount of work done at a pace that works for everyone involved on the project.
- Nathan explains to us the way that company culture can grow and foster with remote workers, saying that it’s easier to really build those bonds by not being in an office together. When you’re in cubicles, you’re seeing these people all day, nearly every day of the week, and emotions can fester very quickly in that setting. Remotely, you can focus on your job, and worry about personal issues later.
- Lastly, Nathan explains to us that the key to your success is in defining what your company culture is, and sticking to your guns once you’ve found what works for you. Turnover issues, though they rarely exist, can be fixed by utilizing this concept. Additionally, being able to take the time and listen to the feedback you’re given by your employees is extremely crucial. With that, you can apply those changes to your business, and also yourself, as a business owner.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Did Nathan not have time to answer a burning question on your mind? No problem! Listed above are various social media contacts where you can message him, as well as his e-mail through FreeeUp, Nathan@FreeeUp.com, and Skype, Portlight.NHirsch. Nathan is a very smart man, and it seems like he’s really struck gold with this idea. We hope that he’s given you some great tips, and some really interesting and important things to think about for marketing in the future!