Hey, guys! This week, instead of having a guest on, it’s just me the One-Click Lindsey. A one on one with the audience about a lot of things that sprouted recently—most notably, an announcement from the CEO and creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg.
Facebook News Feed Update and My Digital Marketing Predictions:
This week, I’m here to calm down the fears you might have when it comes to the new changes Facebook is implementing for its users that’ll seemingly affect the way ads can run for small businesses. Together, we’ll get through it—I promise, there’s nothing to worry about! On top of that, I’ll give you my top 5 predictions for what’s going to be important in digital marketing in this upcoming year, and where your small businesses can shine in the digital marketing sphere with those tips in mind. Let’s get started!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- All about the new Facebook controversy. As simply put as I can, the new update states that Facebook is going to be making a “major change” to how the social network is built to make the site better for people’s well being. Facebook’s product teams will now prioritize helping users have more meaningful social interactions versus finding “relevant content”, and Facebook says that users will see less public content from businesses/publishers and more posts from their friends/family.
- With that knowledge in mind, I tackle what the change really means for businesses owners, and why—honestly?—you’ve got nothing to worry about! Marketing isn’t free, after all, and the sooner that we accept we have to pay for advertisements, the easier this change will be. I also get into a new concept Facebook is toying with to rectify this change—two separate timelines that separate the personal and familial posts from the posts of businesses you’re following, and content they’re promoting.
- Overall, Facebook is just going back to what they originally were. There’s only so much room in your newsfeed to see what you want to see, and you won’t be able to see every status. Facebook’s algorithm needs to be smart enough to choose what you see, and Facebook thinks you’d rather see updates from family. After all, they want you to be interacting first, and to show you more people you openly interact with.
- I also discuss the future of Facebook ads with this new change, and how—in the future—it’ll be hard for a novice to go in and make money because it is competitive and it is complicated. Facebook is heading in the direction of hiring someone to do ads for you instead of doing it at it alone.
- From there, we get into the top marketing predictions! First, we talk about the rise of “bots”, and—more specifically—artificial intelligence. AI is helping them make a more personalized interaction with customer service and other marketing places in your businesses, especially when it comes to Facebook bots.
- Secondly, we touch on “stories”. They’re used to social media platforms—Instagram, Facebook, and now YouTube—as a way to capture the best moments from your day to day activities that are set to vanish within 24 hours. This function of a temporary nature creates a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) among people because they know they can’t go back and watch it later. This’ll really important coming into 2018, regardless of the feeling of disappointment knowing that your content will live for such a short amount of time.
- Next, I discuss the use of voice. Things like Alexa and Google Assistant are already popular, and eventually, they’ll start helping even more with marketing. Being able to use something like that to connect you with local businesses in times of need will only up to the digital marketing game!
- Lastly, I talk about the use of professional live video, and why video is really important for small businesses. It’s one of the best ways for people to engage with your brand—I’ve used it for quite some time, as well as encouraged nearly every client of mine to do the very same. Additionally, the use live video is important so people can see authenticity in your brand, and not be stuck with a business script over and over again.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
See? I told you guys it wasn’t that bad! Hopefully, you’ll be able to take all this information to heart, and use it as a way to get ready and get better in 2018. If I didn’t answer something you’ve still got on your mind, no worries. Feel free to send me an e-mail, or shoot me a message across social media (Twitter, Facebook). Now, let’s all take a deep breath, and get ready to make some marketing magic happen! Together, we can get through this!
Leave a Reply